Adelaide Celebrant - Christine Worden

Origins Of Concord

Your Special Wedding


Marriage Celebrant - Professional Wedding Planner - Funeral Celebrant



Wedding Ceremonies                      

Legal Requirements

Wedding Planning




Baby Naming Ceremony

Main Page

Photo Gallery


Legal Requirements

****There are Legal Requirements for a Wedding Ceremony****


Notice of Intended Marriage

A notice of intended marriage must be filled out and lodged with an authorised marriage celebrant at least one month and one day before your wedding date. You can complete it  up to 18 months earlier if you like planning ahead!
If you plan to marry to marry in Australia but live overseas, you still need to lodge the Notice of Intention to Marry with an authorised marriage celebrant.
Documents you need to bring with you when lodging or filling out the form with the celebrant include original certificates of birth, your passport (if an overseas citizen), visa, any Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce or Nullity, or Death (of previous spouse) if you have been previously married.
You may need other documents and should discuss this with your celebrant before the meeting to lodge the form. Other documents you may need include a Statutory Declaration, official translations of overseas documents not written in English, Change of Name Certificate, Citizenship papers and Court Orders for marriage of minors. All documents should be in English.

There is a lodgement fee payable at the time of notification to marry. This deposit is non-refundable.


You need 2 witnesses to make your marriage legal. Your witnesses must be:

over 18
and capable of understanding the nature of the ceremony.
they need not be members of the bridal party and may be in the general assembly of guests
they must be able to hear and understand the vows of the couple in the wedding ceremony
it is a good idea to exchange addresses and keep the names and addresses of your witnesses with your marriage certificate.

  Form 14A

If you are getting married, your celebrant will provide you with a brochure called "Happily Ever...before and after - important information for people planning to marry". This brochure includes information on marriage education, counselling, changing your name, taxation, wills, joint ownership and legal obligations.

I would expect at least two meetings prior to the ceremony and rehearsal. There are   legal obligations to complete prior to the wedding.

Do you want to be married with just a few friends or family?

Many couples today opt not to have a lavish wedding with all the trimmings. They would rather just make it legal at the registery office and then go out and celebrate with a few friends. I don’t want you to get married in an office I can marry you on the beach or in the backyard in a garden, or somewhere that is meaningful to you.

There are some legal requirements however.

With any wedding you must come and see me and Complete/sign an “Intention to Marry Form” which is a legal document 31 days before the wedding date. On the day you wish to marry we can legalise the marriage. There must be at least two witnesses over the age of 18 present.

  NO one can legally be married under a calendar month without special permission.  

The following words must be said at the wedding ceremony. These are compulsory.

" I, full name call upon the persons here present, to witness that I take you, full name to be my lawful wedded Wife/Husband"


“I call upon the persons here present to witness that I,______, take thee, ______, to be my lawful/wedded wife/husband?” 

Promises are  added after this. They  can be anything that you  want to say to each other in public. These promises are  technically the promise to each other and a wonderful way to express your own thoughts and feelings in your own words. I have examples for you to choose from if you want or you may like  to write your own. I encourage my clients to do this but I am also aware many people can not so I am available to assist them whenever they ask.

The legal words I am required to say are; 

“My name is Christine Worden , I am a Registered Marriage Celebrant, and I am authorized to solemnize this marriage, according to law.”

That I say, to you, the words:

“Before you (Full Legal Name), and you (Full Legal Name), are joined in marriage, in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn, serious and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter.
Marriage is, according to law in Australia is the union of two people, to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life"





Send mail to with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: December 21, 2018